The highly fragrant Frankincence is an ancient plant used for centuries in religious ceremonies, turns out that it’s also an amazing skincare ingredient.
I love the aroma-therapeutic benefits of Frankincense. I love to crush a leaf between my fingers and smell the heady and very distinct aroma. I thought this the perfect time to write a blog on this wondrous plant and the many benefits that can be gained from its resin.
Frankincense (Boswellia ssp.) also known as Olibanum originates from the mountainous regions of north-eastern Africa, southern Arabia and western India and has the ability to grow in very dry soil. Frankincense is the oleo-gum-resin collected by making incisions in the bark of the tree. A milky sap is released in small droplets which then solidify into ‘crystals’ or ‘stones’ of resin. The colour of these resin crystals varies from a light amber to a deeper orange-brown. Frankincense oil is produced by steam distillation of this resin making a mobile liquid, pale amber or greenish in colour with a distinct fresh, terpene-like aroma and a subtle lemon undertone.
Historically, the use of Frankincense dates back centuries for religious, medicinal and social purposes. Its main use is in the manufacture of incense for burning and is closely associated with religious traditions, in particular the Greek Orthodox and Catholic Churches. It is also widely used in the aromatherapy, perfumery, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries.
Highly prized in the aromatherapy industry, its therapeutic actions include anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, expectorant, astringent, vulnerary and sedative. Although there are no known adverse side effects to the topical use of Frankincense, it should however, be avoided during pregnancy, while breastfeeding and not used on babies and small children. Frankincense should always be diluted with a carrier oil.
Clinically Frankincense has been used for:
- Treating respiratory conditions such as bronchitis and asthma
- Improving circulation and helping relieve symptoms of joint and muscle pain
- Aide meditation and prayer
- Ease nervous tension, anxiety and panic attacks
- Help with mild to moderate depression
- Promoting mental peace and ‘stilling’ a racing mind
- Wound healing
- Immune enhancing abilities (help fight bacterial, viral and fungal infections)
- Hormone balancing and helping to reduce the symptoms of menstruation and menopause
- Oral health
Frankincense is well known for its use in skincare, in particular for dry and mature skin.
Its many benefits in skincare include:
- Decreasing the appearance of keloid scars
- Helping fade dark spots due to acne
- Softening the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- Promoting regeneration of healthy cells
- Reducing the appearance of large pores
- Helping tone, tighten and increase the elasticity of the skin
- Anti-inflammatory and increasing blood flow
Frankincense is just one of the beautiful oils found in Flora Maia’s Phytonutrient Skin Rescue. Formulated with some of Mother Nature’s finest botanical oils to help with the skin’s natural repair process as we sleep. Visit our online store and treat your skin with the natural healing power of Frankincense.
Inspired by the Beauty and Science of Nature,
Vesna @ Flora Maia